Friday 30 June 2017

Check your bearings.


I went walking with friends yesterday early. later in the day I went for another walk as did they but not together. Now the strange thing about those two afternoon walks was that both pairs managed to get lost. 

I got lost because I followed the directions of my wife and I should have known better. her sense of direction is not at all good, though she would argue about that. It ended up that both groups walked further than we ever intended.

Such is life if you do not check your bearings.

I have a friend who has just travelled halfway round the world to visit home. She is a great lover of moons, so I thought I would paint a moon for her safe arrival in the uk.

The moon has been used by navigators for years to give people their bearings.

There is a wonderful tale of a US Ship that seemed to have lost its way.

They had a bearing and was sure that they knew exactly where they were.  Knowing this they were sure another ship was bearing down on them. They made contact and the conversation went a bit like this.

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees North to avoid collision.

Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees South to avoid collision.

Americans Their is the captain of a US naval ship: I say again divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again divert YOUR course.

Americans: THISE IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND YOU THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, THATS ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: We are a lighthouse: your call.

Have a great day and always know where you are starting and intend to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment