Saturday 30 September 2017

Gates



I remember  the first time I met one of the farmers in my parish. As I approached the farm he was standing at the gate of one of his fields. On introducing  himself to me he went on to say, " I am a man outstanding in my own field."  I laughed and he laughed with me and so began a good friendship.  He was a wonderful friend and helped me with my hens and all sorts of things.

The painting I have used on this blog, even though I am having difficulty with it because of the wifi where I am is of a gate I passed through yesterday. I just could not resist painting it. It was in itself a work of art. Made out of bits of trees and wood constructed in such a way that I could walk through it but cattle in the field could not.

It reminded me of another French gate. This one led to a field of melons. The farmer was concerned that his melons were disappearing due to theft. He very cleverly thought how he might stop this happening.

He painted a large notice which he nailed to the gate. It read, "One one the melons in this field has been injected with poison." 

The next morning, no thefts. He was feeling very pleased with  himself and his notice. Then he looked at it again.

Somebody had added something to the bottom of the notice.

"Now there are two."

Never become too outstanding and clever for your own good, it can come back and bite you.

Have a wonderful day. Cannot get the picture on here but it is on the link on FB. Moving on again tomorrow hopefully to better wifi.




No comments:

Post a Comment