Wednesday 13 September 2017

I do not want that.



I watched what is now a fairly common event, a child protesting over the food put before it. The mother was telling the child that he usually liked what it was but he was having none of it. It had been purchased and paid for but that mattered not a whit. In the end it was put in the waste and another meal purchased for the place next door that will remain nameless.
This little incident took me back down memory lane and I was thinking what I would have liked to have said to that young man.
I would have wanted to take him back a few years.
 "We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I would have told him. "All the food was slow."
"We did not eat in fast food restraints we ina place called 'at home,'" 
"My mother cooked every day and when my father got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."
 I would have told  him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood.  Though his system might not have been able to handle it.
Most parents NEVER owned their own house, never wore Levis, never set foot on a golf course, or travelled out of the country or had a credit card.  .
My parents never drove me to football practice.  I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had  three speeds slow slower and stopped. 
We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11,  maybe even older and of course it was black and white and only had one channel.
I was 16 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that. It's still the case that I am not fond of pizza. 
My father or mother never ever had a car and a big occasion was when we got a taxi to the railways station before going to visit my grandmother for a couple of weeks.
 My mother did not get a telephone until I had left home and I never had a telephone in my room. Even then only phone in the house was in the living room.
Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.
All newspapers were delivered by boys and most boys delivered newspapers.  I delivered newspapers seven days a week and on the Saturday collected the money for the payment of them. My favourite customers gave me a bit more and told me to keep the change my worst ones were never out of bed and I had to go back later.
Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them.
 Oh I could go on but I will finish where I began. Food I did not eat at a meal had a strange way of appearing at the next meal reheated until it was eaten, I learned to say nothing and eat it when it was fresh.
Have a good day and apologies for the haphazard times of posting living on the move is exciting but puts out any semblance of order to life. I have moved to a very interesting and historic town and looking forward to seeing more of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment