Monday 25 September 2017

A Clash of Cultures.


I did say I would say a little more about my market day experience. Well here it is, the band. Six old gentlemen playing to entertain those shopping at the little local market. They were throughly enjoying themselves and they were making happy sounds.  They did hit a few wrong notes and sometimes played off key but it was cheerful and as I sat with others having a coffee they lifted my spirits. 

They also did the same for others who at the end of each little group of pieces they clapped enthusiastically. I began to think that maybe there were no wrong notes maybe it was meant to be a bit off key. 

Then the band struck up and began to play Auld Lang Syne, not they were playing wrong notes I do not think I have ever heard it play like that. Still I sang along. At the end I told the drummer that I hailed from Scotland. He was not aware that the last piece was Scottish. He said it was the bands little kiss to the crowd before going. I smiled.

Who needs mistletoe when you can get a kiss like this? But then what is a kiss.

Here is how some professors define the answer to that question. 

Professor of Computer Science:
A kiss is a few bits of love compiled into a byte.
Professor of Algebra:
A kiss is two divided by nothing.
Professor of Geometry:
A kiss is the shortest distance between two straight lines.
Professor of Physics:
A kiss is the contraction of mouth due to the expansion of the heart.
Professor of Chemistry:
A kiss is the reaction of the interaction between two hearts.
Professor of Accountancy:
A kiss is a credit because it is profitable when returned.
Professor of Economics:
A kiss is that thing for which the demand is higher than the supply.
 Professor of Philosophy: 
A kiss is the persecution for the child, ecstasy for the youth and homage for the old.
Professor of English:
A kiss is a noun that is used as a conjunction; it is more common than proper; it is spoken in the plural; and it is applicable to all.
Professor of Engineering:
Uh, What? I'm not familiar with that term.
I think I might just go back and stand under that mistletoe. Have a marvellous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment