Saturday 23 September 2017

Some Plant Life and a Smile.




I walked twice yesterday along trails I have walked from this site over the four years I have visited this place. The walking here is beautiful. The little painting was of a little wild orchid I passed. The other is a bunch of mistletoe that was growing on the branch of a poplar tree.

Hopes and Dreams
My eye espied the mistletoe and my heart gave a little jump,
I stood in hope and waited that a kiss might come my way.
That my day might find love along the path.
I waited but in vain for ninety route did come.
But hope eternal springs 
that path tomorrow I will tread. 
Who knows what the day might bring.
Of course I am a dreamer but is that not what such things as mistletoe is all about? 
It is of course so far from the truth and has been involved in religions for many many years long before it found its way into the Christmas celebrations, and only then was it related to kissing.
All this just a lead into a couple of tales that came back to my mind when I saw the mistletoe growing.
Jennifer was a pretty 18 year old girl.  In the week before Christmas she sauntered up to the decorations counter, and was trying to decide which of the many types of tinsel she would buy.  Finally, she made her choice and asked the spotty youth who was manning the  section.  "How much is this gold tinsel garland".
The spotty youth pointed to the Christmas mistletoe above the counter and said, 'This week we have a special offer, just one kiss per metre'.
'Wow, that's great', said Jennifer, 'I'll take 12 metres'.
With expectation and anticipation written all over his face, the boy measured out the tinsel, wrapped up the garland, and gave it to Jennifer. 
She then called to an old man who had been browsing through the Christmas trees and said, 'My Grandpa will settle the bill.'
Another that I recalled.
Will was returning home from a business trip.  It had been an exhausting trip and he was not in a good mood.  The airport's Christmas musak was getting him down, and their decorations were tacky. 
As he queued at the check-in desk he day-dreamed about the plastic mistletoe hung over the luggage scale.  Being in a bad mood, he said to the woman at the counter, "You know, even if I weren't married, I wouldn't kiss you."  
That's not what it's there for," said the attendant. "It's so you can kiss your luggage goodbye".

Yes I am aware that it is a long way from Christmas but I see so many counting down the days so I thought I would put in my little bit.

Have a great day and live for today there is no need to dream of other days.

No comments:

Post a Comment