Friday 29 September 2017

Getting Lost.

I have had some marvellous experiences in life and strangely the ones that stick in my memory are those where I have got lost. Memories are built on the experiences we did not expect to have.

I remember one such experience where on following directions given me by my son I ended up standing in snow in glaciers with a car and caravan.  The sign on the road ahead said no trailers beyond this point. I had driven up and up a scary road for miles I was not for turning around and going back. So taking the bull by the horns I drove on down the most horrendous trail.

When I eventually arrived at the bottom I was so relieved. When I looked at the beautiful trims on my caravan wheels they were just two flops of molten plastic from the heat off my brakes.

A frightening experience but yet one of life memories that both I and my family have laughed about for years and learned from.

Yesterday I had a similar experience. I cycled for miles, once again to view a place my son told me was worthy of a visit. It was. 

The return journey I tried to follow a cycle path which led me up and down hills and through little villages. I was lost. But then I cycled though a troglodyte habitation. This made all the trials of the cycle worth it. 

To see and wonder that people so many thousands of years ago could build and construct such cave dwellings with little tools or knowledge.

it makes us clever people seem so much less clever. Oh yes we have computers and all such wonders. But could we without their help be so inventive?

The other thought that crossed my mind was that so often in life we get lost. Or we wander off track and get into difficulties. The road ahead seems impossible. But just around the corner there can be marvellous things to behold.

If we can just settle down and take time and get things back on track.

As Taoism says go with the flow and all will come right.

Have a marvellous day.


No comments:

Post a Comment