Tuesday 19 September 2017

To share or not to share.


Another attempt to capture the mist rising from on of the many canals around the site. I walked this morning just as the sun was getting his hat on and making his presence felt. The mist was rising making everything vert ethereal.

This was even earlier than the one I tried to paint. And yes I know much much better.


I have made no attempt as yet to paint this scene I may once I get home and at the easel.

I am always aware that what I manage to capture in a painting is always a pale reflection of what I want to capture. I hear in my head the words repaint, repaint.

Now this reminds me of another Scottish Painter. 

His name was Smokey Macgregor, because he permanently had a cigarette hanging from his bottom lip. Bob was very interested in making a penny where he could, so he often thinned down his paint to make it go a wee bit further. 
As it happened, he got away with this for some time. Until one day the cathedral decided to do a big restoration job on the outside of its  building. 
Smokey put in a bid and, because his price was so low, he got the job. 
So, he set about erecting the scaffolding and setting up the planks, and buying the paint and yes, I am sorry to say, thinning it down with turpentine. 
Well, Smokey was up on the scaffolding, painting away, the job nearly completed, when suddenly there was a horrendous clap of thunder, the sky opened, and the rain poured down washing the thinned paint from all over the church and knocking Smokey clear off the scaffold to land on the lawn among the gravestones, surrounded by telltale puddles of the thinned and useless paint. 
Oh dear thought smokey. Is this a judgement from the Almighty. 
Just in case he got down on his knees and cried: "Oh, God, Oh God, forgive me; what should I do?" 
There was an almighty bang of thunder and smokey was sure he heard the words,"Repaint! And thin no more!"
I am not sure what smokey did but I will continue to persevere and paint and try to capture what touches my heart. Why? Because I just have to paint.
Have a marvellous day and share what you can of the beauty around you.


No comments:

Post a Comment