Monday 17 October 2016

The Woodcutter.



There are times when we get so caught up in our lives that we fail to notice other things that need to be getting done. Normally one of the first things I do when returning from time away is get out into my paint space and make a start of paintings I have buzzing in my head. 

I have now been home two weeks and have as yet not made a start. 

I have been trying so very hard to get me weight back down to where I feel it would be good for me. Probably because I am getting older I am finding that battle a much more difficult one to win. It is taking me much longer this time round. 

I was brought to a sharp intake of awareness yesterday when I foolishly after long walk in the morning, headed out last night to do four miles in the dark. I knew I would be walking through woods and it would take me longer in the dark but set off nevertheless. Silly really. 

So I was reminded of the man who was given a job as a forestry worker.

Once upon a time, a very strong woodcutter asked for a job in a timber merchant and he got it. The pay was really good and so were the work conditions. 
For those reasons, the woodcutter was determined to do his best.
His boss gave him an axe and showed him the area where he supposed to work.
The first day, the woodcutter managed to cut and clean 18 trees.
“Congratulations,” the boss said. “Go on that way!”
Very motivated by the boss words, the woodcutter tried harder the next day, but he could only manage 15 trees. 
The third day he tried even harder, but he could only manage 10 trees. 
Day after day the number of trees cut and prepared became less and less.
“I must be losing my strength”, the woodcutter thought. He went to the boss and apologized, saying that he could not understand what was going on.
“When was the last time you sharpened your axe?” the boss asked.
“Sharpen? I had no time to sharpen my axe. I have been very busy trying to cut trees…”
It really is all about making sure that you can see the wood from the trees. 

Have a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment