Wednesday 16 January 2019

Work


I retired from working as a teacher reluctantly some many years ago. Unlike many of my colleagues, I had actually enjoyed teaching and the interaction I had with pupils. Sadly my voice, after years of misuse and abuse was feeling the strain and it was indeed time to call it a day.

After the initial shock of no longer having t prepare for the next day, I began to settle into a routine that I felt comfortable with. 

My wife sometime later also retired and my routine had to be changed to accommodate changing circumstances. Then we moved home and I found myself becoming more and more a part of the local community. Those who read this blog on a regular basis know that I am now involved in so many things that I often feel it is like being back at work.

On top of that, I decided to prepare for publication a book on the Tao Te Ching. In recent days, having complete what turned out to be a massive task, I thought I would, in fact, make it available as a published work. This has been no easy task. I have spent a great deal of time going over and over this work and it has felt like once again I was back in a full-time job.

Can I just take a minute to thank the person who made the first purchase for doing so and thanks to you for taking the time to contact me to point out one or two errors which I have now corrected?

Since it has been published a few have expressed sorrow that I have not done as they had hoped and produced an autobiography of the life I have lived. Having managed this work I am really not all that sure I wish to venture down that road. 

I have considered producing a small work on the Tao and Art, but it is at present no more than a little twinkle of a thought. I think I will concentrate on getting back some measure of routine into my life.

It has made me give some thought to the subject of work. I wondered just what kind of worker I was. Here are some of the possible categories I might have fitted into.

NMJ--Not my job
NMM--Need more money
 PPP--Promises, promises, promises
NMH--Needs more help
ACD--Always complaining and disagreeable
CWS--Clock watcher's syndrome
TTM--The trouble maker
SRM--Supports rumour mill

I have met those who fit into all of the above and pray I was not one of any of them. So back to some order and routine but let me explain that probably does not mean the same for me as most.

I remember a walk I had one day with my father that had a remarkable influence on the rest of my life.

I was a winter day and the snow lay on the ground. Having crossed a large area that was usually a grassed area my father looked back and spoke to me. He looked back and pointed out to me how his tracks had gone straight and true to the point we had hoped to reach while mine wandered all over the place. My father said that I need to learn the lesson of having a goal and aiming for that goal until it had been achieved.

I did, in fact, see his point but there and then I decided that my life would be one that would meander and wander and take flights of fancy this way I would not miss out on the many surprises life would hold.

have a wonderful meandering day you might not accomplish all you could but you just might enjoy the experience. 






No comments:

Post a Comment