Tuesday 8 January 2019

So Sad


It seems so sad to me that there are people on Facebook and on the internet in general who only wish to make mischief and to spoil something that could be so positive and useful in so many ways.

I have made many friends on Facebook over the past few years and have found again friends from my past that had slipped off the radar. Those friends, on the whole, have made life that much better just by their presence and words and support.

Sadly there are always those who must live very sad lives that they wish to spoil such things. Can I take just a moment to thank all those who alerted me yesterday to somebody setting up a mock account in my name and trying for whatever reasons to befriend those many dear friends I have online?

Fortunately, with a little help, I was able to find out where the person had logged in from and was able to have that account shut down. I feel really sorry for people who live such sad lives that all they wish to do is spoil the lives of others.

There is a lovely little tale that makes this point.

An old sailor repeatedly got lost at sea, so his friends purchased and gave him a compass and urged him to use it. 

The next time he went out in his boat, he followed their advice and took the compass with him. But as usual, he became hopelessly confused and was unable to find land.  Once again he was rescued by his friends.  

Disgusted and impatient with him, they asked, "Why didn't you use that compass we gave you? You could have saved us a lot of trouble!" 

The sailor responded, "I didn't dare to! I wanted to go north, but as hard as I tried to make the needle aim in that direction, it just kept on pointing southeast."  

The old sailor was so certain he knew which was north that he stubbornly tried to force his own personal persuasion on his compass. 

Unable to do so, he tossed it aside as worthless and failed to benefit from the guidance it offered.

So often the actions of others can bring about their own isolation and misery. 

Yesterday some very sad and lonely person tried to make my life miserable for a time and the lives of those of friends thank goodness that unlike this sad person friends rallied to my side and no harm has resulted. 

I thank you one and all have a marvellous day.

I remembered this teaching from Lao Tzu it seemed appropriate.

Those who are in touch with the Tao,
they are the ones who are generous to others.
They give without seeking credit.
They do what has to be done and they move on.
They have no interest in flaunting their learning,

or in showing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment