Monday 21 January 2019

Blue Monday.


Life often takes a turn when we least expect it to. I was so convinced that everything was going smoothly and life was getting back into some kind of normality and I was breathing a sigh of relief. No more coughing and no more difficulties getting a breath.

My book was finished and published and the ideas for a new project were taking shape. Yes all seemed to be on track. 

It is times like this that we relax and take our eye off the ball and before we know where we are there are so many things that need to be done. 

I am told that this is what is now known as Blue Monday. It is when all the promises you made from for the New Year have gone the way of every New Year. All the resolutions have slipped and we are forced to admit that nothing has changed.

Many people, I am told, at this time of ear suffer from depression and despair things seem to be that they could get no worse.

It is of course never true. Things can always get worse. But they can also get better. So what if a few resolutions have gone?  So what if some great dreams have slipped.? The day has started and you have all this time before you.

There is a tale, like so many such tales, of the man who had to face the end of all things. Surely nothing can be as bad as this?

A man finds himself in front of the Pearly Gates and he is speaking to St. Peter who explains that it's not easy to get into heaven.

There are some criteria that must be met before entry is allowed. 

For example, was the man a church-goer or religious? No?

St. Peter told him that's bad.

Was he generous, giving money to the poor or to charities? No?

St. Peter told him that that, too, was bad.

Did he do any good deeds, such as helping his neighbour? Anything? No?

St. Peter was becoming concerned.

Exasperated, the Saint says,'Look, everybody does something nice sometimes. Work with me, here! I'm trying to help. Now think!"

The man thinks for a minute, then says, "Well, I did help this old lady once. I came out of a store and saw that a dozen Hell's Angels had taken her purse and were shoving her around. I threw my bags down and got her purse back, then I told the biggest biker there that he was cowardly and I slapped his face."

"Wow," said St. Peter, "that's impressive! When did this happen?"

"Oh, about 15 minutes ago," replied the man.

Blue Monday! Such nonsense have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment