Wednesday 30 January 2019

Possessions.



Some three years ago I had a new ankle fitted, all my running in the mountains had brought me to the position that walking without severe pain was becoming a problem, and running was a definite impossibility. Being prone to infections I ended up back in the hospital for some time due to the operation scar becoming infected very badly. 

Now I do not wish to dwell on this it is fresh in my mind because I am now back to suffering that pain once again in the other ankle. Fortunately, I am going to have it scanned fairly soon. 

This and the fact that a dear friend is at present in the same hospital and it seems possible for a fairly long spell. This made me think back to that last time it was me in there. Such a situation certainly makes one aware of what is important in life, and what is not. It hones the mind to sort out priorities. 

There is a tale that makes this point better than I would on my own.

A miser had buried his gold in a secret place in his garden. Every day he went to the spot, dug up the treasure and counted it piece by piece to make sure it was all there. He made so many trips that a thief, who had been observing him, guessed what it was the miser had hidden, and one night quietly dug up the treasure and made off with it.

When the miser made his next visit to his hiding place and discovered his loss, he was overcome with grief. He groaned and cried and tore at his hair.

A friend who lived nearby heard his wailing and groaning and went to see what was up.

He asked the miser what was wrong and could he help. " My gold, all my gold!" he cried, "Somebody has robbed me of all my gold."

The neighbour on hearing this pointed to the hole in the ground, "Did you bury your gold in there?" he asked. "Why did you not keep it in the house where you could easily get to it when you needed to purchase things?"

"Buy things!" screamed the miser angrily. "Why, I never touched the gold other than to count it. I could never think of spending it.

The neighbour on hearing this looked around the garden and picked up a large stone which he threw into the hole. "If it is the case that you do not want the gold to make purchases,'" he said, "cover up this stone. it is worth just as much as the treasure that has been stolen!"

Saving, spending wisely and appropriately is a good sign if you do it for a good purpose. Otherwise, a possession is worth no more than the use we make of it.

Have a good day and you are in our thoughts Jim, get well soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment