Thursday 3 January 2019

New Soles.


The Inner Being

I was remembering back over the years of New years as I sat quietly trying to recover from my week of hell. My mind went back to the days when I was an assistant minister in a church on the East Coast of Scotland. 

Across the road from the church there was a little cobblers shop where very good repairs were carried out to shoes replacing the heels or repairing the soles. 

As I came out of the church one morning I noticed he had a new sign in his window it stated, "Special offer. Get your soles and heels repaired at a sale price. Limited offer."

I just could not resist going back into the church and preparing a notice for the church noticeboard. It read. "Special offer. Get your Soul refreshed here at no charge unlimited offer."

I remember another tale of a similar notice putting an old property up for sale. The owner had decided it was time to retire and sell up.

The building had been empty for months and needed repairs. Vandals had damaged the doors, smashed the windows, and strewn rubbish and litter around the interior. 

As he showed a prospective buyer the property, the owner took pains to say that he would replace the broken windows, bring in a crew to correct any structural damage, and clean out the rubbish. 

"Forget about the repairs," the buyer said. "When I buy this place, I'm going to build something completely different. I don't want the building; I want the site." 

Sometimes at this time of year we make promises to make changes to our lives but our efforts to improve are as trivial as sweeping a warehouse slated for the wrecking ball.  

Maybe now and again we need to be more honest and make some more radical decisions that will be harder to bring into being but worth every moment we try. We made now and again need to change not only the outer being but give a clean to the inner.

Have a good day. Going to make a real effort to get up and about today for a bit longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment