Wednesday 9 January 2019

It is not the words that matter.


Dreamscape

I have throughout my life never found showing my emotions comes easily. I suppose I was brought up in an age where we were told that boys do not cry or show emotion. That being said I never found it simple anyway and those who remember me from my school days will always remember me as a bit of a loner. I never had any difficulty being on my own.

These last few days have therefore been very moving. Having moved to this little village and not really knowing anybody other than my friend and his wife I have been surprised at how many people have been in touch with me offering to go to the shops for us if we needed anything. A text message saying that somebody was just about to come home from work did I need anything from the shop?

So it went on. I managed a little walk yesterday and came home to find a lovely pot plant on the doorstep, how that cheered up a day I can hardly say.

There is something wonderful about having friends who are not just friends in name but who constantly remind you of the fact by their actions.

There are two nice little accounts that say this better than I am managing one I may have shared before.

Mamie Adams, a dear old lady always went to a branch post office in her town because the postal employees there were friendly. 

She went there to buy stamps just before Christmas one year and the lines were particularly long. Someone pointed out that there was no need to wait in line because there was a stamp machine in the lobby. "I know," said Mamie, "but the machine won't ask me about my arthritis." 

And another.

Dwight Morrow, the father of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, once held a dinner party to which Calvin Coolidge had been invited. 

After Coolidge left, Morrow told the remaining guests that Coolidge would make a good president. 

The others disagreed. They felt Coolidge was too quiet, that he lacked colour and personality. No one would like him, they said. 

The young daughter of the family, Anne, then aged six, spoke up, "I like him," she said. Then she displayed a finger with a small bandage around it. "He was the only one at the party who asked about my sore finger." 

"And that's why he would make a good president," added Morrow. 

Actions speak volumes words can often say nothing. Thank you once again all those who have made this time of illness more bearable.

Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment