Tuesday 22 January 2019

Possibilities.


Yesterday I managed to sit down and open a blank canvas on my iPad and began to produce the beginning of a floral painting. I have made a very positive start on my next project though wondering if my head has enough ideas to complete my way through the eighty-one chapters I wish to relate to art and artists.

While out walking my mind was abuzz with thoughts on this very matter and I began to have those doubts that seem to invade the brain. Then I remembered a quote I had read about this present world and age. It went something like this. 

"We live in a world of nearly endless possibilities and have more opportunities at our fingertips than any generation before us. Every place can be travelled to, every adventure can be lived. We just have to do it."

 Everything seems possible, and yet, we dream big and do little. In fact, in the light of the many possibilities, it is such a shame that we also live in a world with more division and more unrest. A world with more people unable to cope with the pace of modern life.

In the process of all of this thinking, I ended up on a road I had never walked before and travelling more miles than I have in a long time.

Maybe the answer lies right there we spend far too much time thinking about what we would like to achieve, or what we think the world owes us, rather than just doing it.

A lady who had become deeply committed to the furtherance of women and women's rights returned from a conference set up to do just this and was met by her daughter.

Her five-year-old daughter, Lisa, greeted her with the news that when she grew up she wanted to be a nurse. 

 At this time nursing was thought by many to be a "woman's job." The mother told her daughter she could be anything she wanted to be. 

"You can be a lawyer, a surgeon, a banker, Prime Minister, you can be anything." 

Lisa looked a little dubious.

"Anything? Anything at all?" She thought about it, and then her face lit up with ambition. 

"All right," she said. "I'll be a horse."

There are times when ambition can take us further than reality. 

Have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment