Friday 18 January 2019

1000

Today marks a milestone in the history of this blog. Today this is number one thousand in this series. A big thank you and a well done for all those who have been there since number one. It is tempting to call it a day at this momentous stepping stone. Yesterday I looked at the completion of my work on the Tao Te Ching today this somewhat seems like the end of a long journey.

I am reminded of the tale of the artist.

He lived over 2,000 years ago.  He was a young student artist named Timanthes. He studied under a respected tutor. 

After several years the teacher's efforts seemed to have paid off when Timanthes painted an exquisite work of art. Unfortunately, he became so enraptured with the painting that he spent days gazing at it.

One morning when he arrived to admire his work, he was shocked to find it blotted out with paint. Angry, Timanthes ran to his teacher, who admitted he had destroyed the painting. "I did it for your own good. That painting was retarding your progress. 

Start again and see if you can do better." Timanthes took his teacher's advice and produced the Sacrifice of Iphigenia, which is regarded as one of the finest paintings of antiquity.

So I ask myself, do I stop and look or do I like him to find the inspiration to continue?

As I walked I partly answered this question and came home and began to make notes on my next venture, "The Tao of Art."

The Greeks had a race in their Olympic games that was unique. The winner was not the runner who finished first. It was the runner who finished with his torch still lit. 

I want to run all the way with the flame of my torch still lit, but I ask all my friends who read this to please let me know when they think the torch is going out.

It is important of course to start well but it is imperative to also end well. 

So I will keep today short and to the point and go with the flow today and see what tomorrow may bring.




No comments:

Post a Comment