Monday 14 January 2019

Birthdays.


There are some things in life that are often best forgotten. The many things that went wrong when they did not need to, causing memories that are often less than happy. But those are now in the past and to hold on to them is foolish, we can do very little about them and to allow them to niggle at the mind does nothing positive.

To carry with us into each new day something from our past knowing that it is doing nothing positive is pointless.

As the sage days awake a new day beckons do not spend a single moment that does not make you feel happy at the end of this day that has not brought joy or peace.

Many years ago today I came into this world and after all those years I do not claim to have gained a great deal of wisdom and I still make mistakes which I frequently regret.

On my fortieth birthday, I decided to begin to make a change in my life. I decided that no longer would I go and lie down when I felt like doing exercise hoping the feeling would go away. I instead took up running. I shaved off my beard that day also and not long afterwards decided not to eat meat anymore.

Another much more important decision was that I would use my birthday each year to reflect upon the year behind me and if I felt that there were things I had done that might have caused others some harm I would do my utmost to put it right. That first year I sat a wrote many letters and posted them off and then I laid aside the regrets.

Each year I have done the same and many years there has been no need to write.  This year as my morning meditation I have reflected and am pleased to say that I will not be spending a great deal of time today writing to others. it is indeed possible for the leopard to lose its spots and for the old man to discover some wisdom.

Now I have the day to face and hope to put aside all thoughts of the past and enjoy this day I hope you do also.

No comments:

Post a Comment