Thursday 17 January 2019

A time to pause.


Well, at last, I now have both editions of my book finished. There were times when I thought this might never happen. This is far from my first attempt at such a venture. While I was a minister I produced a book of meditations and thoughts based around Christianity. It was not possible in those days to send it off to a publisher online it all had to be done by post. After sending it off two or three times I received a favourable outcome. "We would be interested in publishing this volume of work if you can make the following changes to the manuscript."

Overwhelmed by a sense of having achieved what I set out to do I laid it aside to make the changes when I had a little more time. As you have guessed already I never got around to making those changes. A little fall from a mountain path and a period in bed and the changes I made were a bit more drastic. I decided to leave the ministry and apply to attend teacher training at university and become a teacher. The manuscript still sits on the shelf right behind me in my study.

It is now time to sit back and put my feet up and hope I do not fall from a mountain track in the very near future.

There is an account that tells of Henry Ford. he once hired an efficiency expert to evaluate his company. After a few weeks, the expert made his report, which was highly favourable except for one thing. 

"It's that man down the hall," said the expert. "Every time I go by his office he's just sitting there with his feet on his deck. He's wasting your money." 

"That man," replied Mr. Ford, "once had an idea that saved us millions of dollars. At the time, I believe his feet were planted right where they are now."

I hope that was not a time evaluation officer I saw passing my window as I put my feet up on my rather cluttered desk.

Returning to the thought of meditation I read the following account some years ago about how concentrating the mind could achieve much.

Rosanoff, long associated with Thomas Edison, had worked futilely for over a year to soften the wax of phonograph cylinders by altering their chemical constitution. The results were negative. 

Rosanoff relates how he mused night after night trying to 'mentally cough up' every theoretical and practical solution. 'Then it came like a flash of lightning. I could not shut waxes out of my mind, even in my sleep. Suddenly, through a headache and daze, I saw the solution. 

The first thing the next morning, I was at my desk, and half an hour later I had a record in the softened wax cylinder. This was the solution! 

I learned to think waxes...waxes...waxes, and the answer came without effort, although months of thought had gone into the mental mill.'"

Months and months have gone into the mental mill on the preparation of this small volume of work I do so hope it does help to concentrate the mind and enable those who take the time to learn how to go with the flow.

Have a marvellous day.


No comments:

Post a Comment