Tuesday 29 January 2019

Beware what we say.


In the past year and even more so in the past few weeks I have had occasion to read back over much of that which I have written in a flurry of thought.

I read the next chapter/verse of the Tao Te Ching and then I head off out to enjoy a contemplative walk. For a time I can avoid all the chatter of Brexit and all the thoughts that stir up in the brain and instead consider the much more contemplative words I read. rn

Between this and the wonder of nature, I return home with a head full of thoughts that I want to get down on paper.

So I write in a flurry of activity and later return to read it again. How often I have discovered that my brain can travel faster than my old fingers and what ends up on the page is not exactly what was going through my mind. Fortunately, they are being read again and the ones I have not spotted have been pointed out to me.

In the past few weeks, I have had a good few chuckles at some of the silly things I have written.

Fortunately, I am not alone in this and it is possible to look back and find somethings that have been written or said that on reflection make little sense. Here are one or two such.

A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Every Tom, Dick, and Harry is named William.

Now, ladies and gentlemen, listen slowly.

For your information, I would like to ask a question.

Include me out.

Don't talk to me while I'm interrupting.

I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.

Thank goodness I am writing and before it becomes too widely read it is being spotted. Now consider this; If I am doing this on a keyboard it is time for me to consider what I am doing at other times with my mouth. This is indeed a frightening thought. 

I should have made a New year Resolution that I would always put my brain into gear before engaging my mouth. 

Worthy of some thought? 

Have a great day and if you are by any chance reading this my friend Jim get well soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment