Sunday 6 January 2019

Nearer one end than the other.



This is a slightly different cat from the one I showed yesterday, this one I was asked to paint to be given as a gift. The person who commissioned the painting was happy but as yet I have not heard about the receiver of the gift.

I was listening to the news yesterday when it was reported that Billy Connelly the Scottish comedian had taken back some of the words he had used on a documentary because they had been upsetting to some of his friends.

What had he said/ He had said that he was nearer one end of his life rather than the other. That life was fading away but he was not afraid it was a new adventure. Now please tell me what is wrong with saying that?

I remember once seeing a picture of a crucifix hanging in a church and the congregation had put up a large sheet before it with a vase of flowers. The words underneath said, "Lord protect us from all unseemly things."

That was many years ago but it seems we still wish the same protection. 

I can put my hand on my heart and say that I am a lot nearer one end than the other. In about a weeks time I will become even more aware of this fact as I celebrate a milestone birthday.  But do I want protection from this fact? No.

Man is like an automobile. 

As it gets older, the differential starts slipping, and the u-joints get worn, causing the drive shaft to go bad. The transmission won't go into high gear and sometimes has difficulty getting out of low. The cylinders get worn and lose compression, making it hard to climb the slightest incline. When it is climbing, the tappets clatter and ping to the point where one wonders if the old bus will make it to the top. 

The carburettor gets fouled with pollutants and other matter, making it hard to get started in the morning. It is hard to keep the radiator filled because of the leaking hose. The thermostat goes out, making it difficult to reach operating temperature. The headlights grow dim, and the horn gets weaker. The memory chip drops a few bytes, and the battery needs constant recharging. 

But if the body looks good with no bangs, dents or chipping paint, we can keep it washed and polished, giving the impression that it can compete with the newer models and make one more trip down the primrose lane before the head gasket blows. 

Instead of wishing to be protected from all unseemly things. Let us start up our engines. 

A new day awaits have a great one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment