Monday 30 July 2018

To Plan or not to plan?



A picture of this bird on a Buddleia was posted on my timeline as a possible painting, I love when this happens because when I have a source in front of me and somebody thinks I can do something with it I just begin and go ahead and paint it.

With some of my abstracts, I walk around with the image of a painting in my head for days, sometimes weeks thinking and planning how I will produce the final work. Even when I paint using acrylic and a canvas and it all seems to come simply my fingers moving the paint around I have been in the planning stage of this painting for ages.

I never used to be good at planning anything even when it came to building flatpack furniture. Just do it, as the saying goes. if all else fails read the instructions. 

On one such occasion, somebody said to me, " You have to plan Ralph, remember Noah started building long before the rain came."

There is a lovely story that illustrates this even better. 

British sculptor Sir Jacob Epstein was once visited in his studio by the eminent author and fellow Briton, George Bernard Shaw. 

The visitor noticed a huge block of stone standing in one corner and asked what it was for. 
"I don't know yet. I'm still making plans."

Shaw was astounded. "You mean you plan your work. Why I change my mind several times a day!" 

"That's all very well with a four-ounce manuscript," replied the sculptor, "but not with a four-ton block." 

I suppose if you have done something before it comes easier. Maybe the need for planning becomes less important.

During WWII General McArthur asked an engineer how long it would take to build a bridge across a certain river. 

"About three days." The engineer was told to go ahead and draw up the plans. 

Three days later McArthur asked for the plans. The engineer seemed surprised. "Oh, the bridge is ready. You can cross it now. 

If you want plans, you'll have to wait a little longer, we haven't finished those yet."

I suppose this little blog seems to contradict itself. Plan or not to plan?  I suppose if somebody else has done the planning and provided the task it is a case of getting on with it. Thank you, Linda, for doing the planning I hope you think I have completed the task well? 

If it is an inspired work coming for the mind it seems to me that even inspiration takes a long time in the preparation. 

I have been challenging a friend to try drawing and painting. A little bit of advice for today. Take time and plan ahead. never face a sheet of blank paper without a thought in your head. 

I am sure life would be so much easier for us all if we all did some serious thinking before we dived into action.

Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment