Thursday 5 July 2018

It is the simple things that matter.


The Spirit of Tao

The above painting was inspired by an image seen on a site about Zen Buddhism. This form of Buddhism seeks to find enlightenment through the simple everyday things of life. it says that although things may seem complex and difficult to grasp there comes a point when acceptance of the simple things brings a spark of knowledge that cannot be worked out by the head and the complex studies of the mind.

Yesterday I walked along the banks of the river Saone. How peaceful in the sun with the sound only of birds. My walk took a rather strange little twist when I came across a little building that had been carefully restored having been in ruin the last time I passed it.

The twist came when I noticed on the top corner of the building there hung a horseshoe, a symbol of good luck? I put the question mark because not all will believe in such things.


I was taken back to the days when I shred experience with my dear old grandmother, Gran, who I loved with a passion and with whom I spent many happy summers. had she seen this symbol she would have told me it was upside down and all the luck was running out of it.

She had this kind of contradiction in her life, being a very devout little lady she was also very superstitious. The first day of every month she would arise with the words, "Rabbit rabbit rabbit." Now do not ask me why but she said it chased away bad luck for the next month. if she spilt some salt she would take a pinch of the salt and throw it over her right shoulder. 

No walking under ladders for her and lucky white heather, that was another story.

I suppose that this was why on the day of my wedding there were little holes in the icing all the way around the lower layer. Having seen the white heather and horseshoes I had instantly taken them all off and thrown them in the nearest bucket.

So we have a contrast from the Zen Buddhist looking for a sense of meaning in the simple things of life and those like my Gran turning the simple things into the purveyors of good and bad luck.

Such goings on have gone on for centuries. How often do you hear the saying, "Touch wood.?" This goes back to the days when the Crusaders bought little pieces of the original cross and carried it close to their hearts and in times of fear touched wood. On calculation, if all those pieces were gathered together there would have been enough to build twenty crosses.

Superstitious or not? Seeking meaning in the simple things of life? I suppose whatever makes you feel good and gives life another dimension, go with the flow. My old Gran did and I still think fondly of her. 

Have a good day, go and see some simple things and go with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment