Saturday 7 July 2018

To meditate takes effort.


Pillars and Flowers.

I built another of my little stone pillars, took two flowers that had been knocked off two bushes by the wind combined them to make another little zen inspired painting. Another reminder that everything in life is impermanent. 

I hoped it was also a quiet painting to inspire some meditation. Meditation stills plays a very important role in my life.

Meditation is something like playing a game of chess. What I enjoy about a game of chess is the mental challenge and the silence of the game.

If you ever attend a chess match you will be caught up in the silence of the match. Everybody attending knows the importance of the game. Everybody knows that the players need to be able to concentrate fully. Each player has to give his utter concentration to the moment.

I have heard friends saying that they meditate while running, though one doing just this had a rather serious disagreement with a lamppost. Others have said that they can meditate in a noisy room, none of those actions has any impact on meditation. Meditation they say is a mental activity completely divorced from the environment.

If that were so, why are there so many meditation halls and rooms? If that was the case why are there so many wonderful places of solace? If that were the case why do I know of so many secret gardens designed to aid meditation?

For me, meditation is not something that is added on to other activities. It is not a moment of relaxation. It is for me the way I bring my very humanity into focus.

If you wish to succeed in meditation I believe the setting is important. You may not agree but for me this is essential. I need fresh air, I need nature close at hand, I need to be undisturbed. Only then can I slip into serenity. 

If we can understand the need of the chess player we can also understand the precise attention that we must bring to meditation if you wish it to be a success.

I hope this goes some way to help the friend who asked me to say something about this topic. To others who read I hope it was not a total waste of your precious time. 

One and all have a peaceful day.


No comments:

Post a Comment