Wednesday 18 July 2018

Laziness the mother of invention.


Symbols of love.

Some time ago I spent time in the company of a lovely couple and we laughed together. I became friends with them on Facebook. The other day there was a lovely picture of this bunch of flowers the girl, Hazel, had received from her dearest. I could not resist painting them, not exactly but I did make a real attempt to be as true to them as I could. The flowers will wither but the painting will still be around as a happy reminder of a joyful love-filled moment.

I seem to have had a hectic return to life back home in Freuchie. The judging of the village for the Fife in bloom takes place very soon and I have been out and about doing my little bit to make the village ready. I hope I am being of some help. 

One of the tasks I took on was the cutting of a very prickly hedge. I do not own an electric cutter but not being lazy I cut it with my hand shears. it took me over two hours. Later that day a friend told me I could have borrowed his and done it in about half an hour with less effort. Foolish me but as I say one thing that will not be said of me is that I was ever lazy. 

Somebody once said, sorry I cannot for the life of me remember who, "Some people would do anything to be able to do nothing."

I do not come into that category of person but I certainly know a good few who do.

Sheer laziness has probably been responsible for more shortcuts, not to mention valuable inventions than we are ready to admit. 

Most of us are continually on the lookout, at least subconsciously, for easier ways to perform onerous or routine tasks. I know that even though I never shirk a task I do always try and find the most straightforward way to do one. Laziness is indeed the mother of invention.

An example of imagination spurred on by outright lethargy is contained in the story of an old mountaineer and his wife who were sitting in front of the fireplace one evening just whiling away the time. Both were sitting in silence probably meditating on mountains they had climbed or the ones they intended to tackle.

After a long silence, the wife said: "Tom, I think it's raining. Get up and go outside and see."

The old mountaineer continued to gaze into the fire for a second, sighed, then said, "Aw, May, why don't we just call in the dog and see if he's wet." 

Good thinking in anybody's book I would suggest.

I remember a good friend of mine in one of my churches telling me a true story. he was a personnel manager in the local paper mill.

He told me of the time he rejected a job applicant because the firm was overstaffed in the department he wished to work in. The would-be employee persisted, "The little bit of work I'd do won't even be noticed!"

Now I wonder if he put on his CV. I am a very lazy person so will never get in any other employees way?.

I plan to have a lazy day but I am almost 100% sure that it will probably not happen. Hope you have a wonderful relaxing day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment