Monday 23 July 2018

Not all things are possible.


I spent the last two months being awakened by the plaintive call of this little bird, the bee-eater. It can be heard over most of France and for such a very little bird its call is very loud and distinctive.

How I would love to see one for real. I have followed the call binoculars in hand but as yet have not seen one. It is similar to the kingfisher, elusive. I fear that I am not going to have the pleasure of seeing the beautiful little bird in the flesh.

Then not all things in life are possible. Somethings we have to learn to live with and make the very best of what we have.

I was given a leaflet the other day from a group of people going around the streets. The leaflet was asking me to pray three times a day to end all wars.

This is very similar to the group of people who are out and about asking people to say a word for world peace even though they do not know the meaning of the word. I find this a bit underhand. 

There is another group who plead for us to put into practice certain austerities to help to liberate the poor from the terrible life they have to lead. I  have throughout the larger part of my life followed a vow that gives a certain amount of my total earnings to charity to try and achieve something similar.

I will die and they will also and there will still be poverty. There will still be war and the sellers of the weapons of war. World peace will be as big a dream as it has always been for me. In fact, I think it is more dangers now than it has been during my lifetime. I do not criticise those groups with their honest desire to solve some of the world problems
But I cannot agree with the claims that spiritual devotion will ever effect wars, disease, the economy, and the ever increasing problem of overpopulation. 

Spirituality is very much a personal endeavour. What we do in our daily devotions, and I still do meditate daily and do my Tai Chi, but it can only ever be for my own sake. 

Once we transfer this to the grand scale they are compromised by the contradictions of everyday life.

There is no, and never will be Utopia.

There can only ever be the valiant attempt of each individual person to live spiritually in a world where spirituality is almost impossible.

I know that what I am saying in response to my leaflet is somewhat controversial, but I have never shied away from controversy. 

I believe strongly that in every one of us there is a spiritual being waiting to be nurtured and that such nurture can only ever be good for the whole of society. This is equally true for those who have no belief in gods or the supernatural. The secularist is as spiritual a being as the devout being. 

What we need to learn is to encourage each to find that level of spirituality the is right for them and rejoice in their life. 

Have a great day. Go with the flow. 








No comments:

Post a Comment