Thursday 26 July 2018

It is not that you cannot.


I keep hearing people telling me they are not artistic, that they could not draw to save themselves and such things. 

yet I see some amazing things come from those very people once they have been bitten by the bug and have with a little help began to try some artistic work.

it is true that nothing ever come easily. Anything of any worth takes time and practice. I often go back and look at some of the painting I was doing on my iPad just after I had purchased it. and compare with what I am doing now. I feel some sense of pleasure that day by day they are getting closer to where I would like them to be.

I am so looking forward to seeing if a friend of mine has taken up my little challenge to follow my step by step and draw a ball on paper with just a pencil and finger?

it takes time, and the other thing I have learned in whatever we do it takes focus. yesterday I played a fairly good round of golf, good enough to feel I had played well. 

But I remembered the tale of Arnold Palmer while I prepared on the first tee.

"It was the final hole of the 1961 Masters tournament, and I had a one-stroke lead and had just hit a very satisfying tee shot. I felt I was in pretty good shape. As I approached my ball, I saw an old friend standing at the edge of the gallery. He motioned me over, stuck out his hand and said, "Congratulations." 

I took his hand and shook it, but as soon as I did, I knew I had lost my focus. 
On my next two shots, I hit the ball into a sand trap, then put it over the edge of the green. I missed a putt and lost the Masters. 

You don't forget a mistake like that; you just learn from it and become determined that you will never do that again. I haven't in the 30 years since."

So the secret lies in time and focus.

Another thing is to do only one thing at a time. My family say I become obsessive about things and it is to some extent true but I would rather say I become focused. 

A weakness of all human beings is trying to do too many things at once. 

That scatters effort and destroys direction. It makes for haste, and haste makes waste. So we do things all the wrong ways possible before we come to the right one. Then we think it is the best way because it works, and it was the only way left that we could see. 

Every now and then I wake up in the morning headed toward that finality, with a dozen things I want to do. I know I can't do them all at once. What do I do about that? 

I meditate and do some Tai Chi.  While doing this I burn off some of the excess energy that wants to do too much,  meditation clears my mind and I see what can be done and should be done first.

Then I get back to my obsessions. 

Have a wonderful day. Never say you cannot do something until you have tried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment