Friday 13 July 2018

Looking back! Looking forward.


Home after two months and the thought of what I have to do is frightening, so frightening I really do not know where to begin. To make matters worse while putting the bikes on the back of my motorhome for the homeward journey my wife accidentally let go of one of the bungies which crashed against my finger which is now swollen and very stiff. So no painting yesterday but I have a feeling that Margaret the owner of this one of my abstracts will not object to my using it again.

It seems I have reached that stage in life when for the first time in years I am getting my ideas and head in the right place but the rest of me is now falling apart. Not really all that sure just exactly which is preferable of the two?

It is a very true fact of life that is simpler to get older than it is to get wiser. I feel with age I just might be finding a little bit of wisdom so maybe I really should not complain.

Even now I am putting that wisdom to good use and trying to fathom the best way to tackle all the jobs that require to be done out there in the garden. I suppose slowly would be the keyword.

I rejoice in the fact the reward for the work that requires to be done has already been given to me. it has been a summer of meeting new friends and even more important making some forward strides in my painting. But I have also made some real progress in meditation and my quest for some understanding of the meaning of life. Sadly I am no longer a teacher so there are not so many around that I can share my insights with. 

Looking back a thought crossed my mind. "I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it." Life really has not been bad to me. I find it very useful to remember those little words. As we get older it is so easy to complain about all the things you used to do that are now impossible. I was talking to a lad yesterday who has taken up running. His target is to do a half marathon this summer in under two hours. I had mixed feelings, I would struggle to do that but I used to manage to do a half marathon in one hour twenty minutes, and in my head, I can still live those marathon days and give thanks.

I remember when I used to jest about sowing my wild oats. I still have to find a way of jesting about prunes and muesli which my wild oats seem to have become. 

The bottom line this morning is to never dwell with sadness on what you cannot do but to rejoice in what has been accomplished and to seek new things to do with what we have. 

Nothing good ever comes out of being miserable so get on with it. Having said that I suppose I should go and get my gardening clothes on and make a start in the wilderness. 

Have a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment