Thursday 1 December 2016

It is just a joke.





Hidden Places of the Heart.

This is a painting I began while giving a demonstration. It is as yet not signed because I am not 100% happy with the centre bottom part. I think I might introduce a little more of the sienna.

I again was inspired by those little secret places and moments that come to us and give us joy. Even the coldest days can bring moments of warmth.

I was given a ticking off yesterday for spending time reflecting on the past. Friends could not believe that my friend and I had spent time talking about and watching ancient episodes of the magic roundabout. 

Of course this brought to mind some of the old jokes. A comment was made, "The old ones are always the best."

Yes it is true that we can, especially as we get older, tell the same stories more than once. 

But does that make them any less funny.

A little tale to dwell upon.

For years people visited the wise sage to seek answers for their problems and worries.

He became aware that they were complaining about the same problems. 

One day he told them a joke and everyone roared in laughter.
After a couple of minutes he told them the same joke and only a few of them smiled.
When he told the same joke for the third time no one laughed anymore.
The wise man smiled and said:
"You can’t laugh at the same joke over and over. So why are you always crying about the same problems?"
If it is possible to lay aside the things that bring us joy, why then can we not treat our problems in the same way?
Who knows, once we have given them less concern the very problem may also diminish. 

Have a wonderful day. Today I meet with friends and no doubt will laugh at a joke I have heard before. 



No comments:

Post a Comment