Monday 12 December 2016

Simple Solutions.


Love along the shore.

Isn't it strange how we so often complicate life.I know that I can so often make what is really a simple task into something much more complicated and difficult.

I have had this amazing ability all my life.  Possibly it comes from being a procrastinator. The longer you think about a task or problem the more difficult it becomes.

I carry paintings in my head for weeks before actually putting any paint on a canvas. The trouble is by the time I get to the canvas I have complicated the picture in my mind and have not got a clue where to begin.

Recently I have made a real effort to stop doing this. Instead I take  a simple approach. I walk and allow little parts of the walk to seep into my being. Then without further thought put the feelings onto the canvas.

I remember the story of Hughie and is dilemma and solution.

Hughie is in a terrible state and goes to see a private therapist, too terrified to go to a doctor in case they declare him mad.
"So how can I help?" asks the therapist.
"It's like this," says Hughie. "Ah've started getting these fears at night, and they are getting worse! I keep thinking somebody is under the bed, so I go down under it to look and no one's there. Then my brain tells me there's somebody on top of the bed and it goes on like this all night: under, top, under, top. It's driving me mental. I cannot get a mounts sleep!"
The therapist thinks for a bit and says, "I am positive I can cure you of this. Now, I want you to come and see me twice a week for the next six months for a two hour session each time."
"And how much will that be?" asks Hughie.
"£60 per session," the therapist informs him. Hughie leaves, troubled at the thought of all that money, and goes for a consoling drink at his local. 
The therapist never sees Hughie again, until one day months later he bumps into him in the street. The therapist is surprised to see him looking so well, not the sleep-deprived maniac he'd seen before.
"Why did you never come back?" he asks ?"
"At £60 a pop, twice a week, for six months? You must be kidding! 
The barman at the local cured me for a tenner!"
"How on earth did he do that?"
"He told me to buy a saw and cut the legs off the bed!"
As the great philosopher Lao Tzu said,
Tackle difficulties when they are easy. Accomplish great things when they are small. Or as we say, Do not make mountains out of mole hills.

Have a marvellous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment