Monday 19 December 2016

The worry tree.


Not seeing much of this at all this year.

It is amazing how easy it is to get into a routine that makes you feel comfortable. I like to get up nice and early and start my day with a nice cup of coffee. 
I then retire to my study and sit and have a little quiet time when I gather my thoughts., look back over the day before and see if I could have made it better for me or for those I met during the course of the day. 
Yesterday ended very well with a very wonderful text message that lifted me no end.
So this morning, I am all out of sorts. My day started later than it should have. I had a sore head, for which there is no apparent reason. Now I am worried that today might be one of those days when I really should just go back to bed. 
Or maybe I should go visit the little tree. It now has some baubles added to it and it seems to be bringing joy to many.
I could maybe make it into my worry tree. Let me explain.
Two men had just finished a rough first day on new  job. It had not started at all well.
A flat tyre made one of them late in the morning and made him lose an hour of work, his electric saw quit, and now at the end of the day his ancient car  refused to start. His workmate  drove him home. 
On arriving, he invited him in to meet his family. As we walked toward the front door, he paused briefly at a small tree, touching the tips of the branches with both hands. 
When opening the door, he underwent an amazing transformation. His tanned face wreathed in smiles and he hugged his two small children and gave his wife a kiss. 
Afterward he walked to the car. as they passed  the tree and curiosity got the better of the new workmate. He asked him about what I had seen him do earlier. 
"Oh, that's my trouble tree," he replied. "I know I can't help having troubles on the job, but one thing for sure, troubles don't belong in the house with my wife and the children. So I just hang them on the tree every night when I come home. Then in the morning I pick them up again."
"Funny thing is," he smiled, "when I come out in the morning to pick them up, there are not nearly as many as I remember hanging up the night before."
I have just discovered as I sit writing this, the tree does not actually have to exist. In your mind you can parcel up all your troubles and drop them off somewhere. It is also possible to just leave them in the parcel and bother picking them up. 

They used to say, "Remember every day is a school day." But let  me just say every day is a NEW day. 
Hope you have a good one. Or are some still rushing around getting ready for the weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment