Wednesday 21 December 2016

Just a little word.


As the days move onward it is more difficult to not become engrossed in the whole thing of Christmas. The media tries hard, though in my humble opinion fail, to make the schedules more exciting. 

When I see the exciting things about to come on over the actual Christmas days and up to the New Year I really do like just pulling the plug and forgetting about television. In fact that is exactly what I will be doing.

This complaining of mind reminds me of another story.

At a monastery high in the mountains, the monks have a rigid vow of silence. Only at Christmas, and only by one monk, and only with one sentence, is the vow allowed to be broken. 

One Christmas, Brother Thomas is allowed to speak and he says, "I like the mashed potatoes we have with the Christmas turkey!" and he sits down. Silence ensues for 365 days. 

The next Christmas, Brother Michael gets his turn, and he says, "I think the mashed potatoes are lumpy and I hate them!" 

Once again, silence for 366 days (it's leap year). The following Christmas, Brother Paul rises and says, "I am fed up with this constant bickering!"

I suppose when something only happens once a year you do only want good news so maybe I like many others should remain quiet and let others enjoy.

But I still remember the little boy who was making sure that he was going to enjoy it all.

Two young boys were spending the Christmas at their grandparents. At bedtime, the two boys knelt beside their beds to say their prayers when the youngest one began praying at the top of his lungs. 

"I PRAY FOR A NEW BICYCLE... 

I PRAY FOR A NEW BICYCLE... 

I PRAY FOR A NEW BICYCLE..." 

His older brother leaned over and nudged the younger brother and said, "Why are you shouting your prayers? God isn't deaf." 

To which the little brother replied, "No, but Grandma is!"

Loads of things to begin preparing I hope you have a wonderful day and a little smile to start it off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment