Tuesday 27 December 2016

An Ice Cream in a Cafe



 The other day there I was heading down the top of a little street in my home town. I passed the cafe where I had a coke with "Lulu and the Luvers " just after they had there biggest hit, "Shout". I remember the day well not because I was with them but simply because it was a pretty interesting year in so many ways and this was just one of the little things from that year that has stayed with me.

It is still a cafe but it seems now to be so much more about meals and even at my age I would have fitted in well with the clientele that now frequent the place. In my youth it was all about the gathering place of youth. There was a juke box and cokes and loads of space to meet and chat. 

I was remembering some of those moments and some of the people I met with and thought happy days. Those were the days when you could take a date to the pictures have a beer and still have change from  a ten shilling note.

This reminded me of this true and inspiring little story.

A young  boy entered a hotel coffee shop and sat at a table. A waitress put a glass of water in front of him.

“How much is an ice cream sundae?”

“Two shillings,” replied the waitress.

The young boy pulled his hand out of his pocket and studied a number of coins in it.

“How much is a dish of plain ice cream?” he inquired. Some people were now waiting for a table and the waitress was a bit impatient.

“One shilling and six pence,” she said brusquely.

The young boy again counted the coins. “I’ll have the plain ice cream,” he said.

The waitress brought the ice cream, put the bill on the table and walked away. The boy finished the ice cream, paid the cashier and departed.

When the waitress came back, she began wiping down the table and then swallowed hard at what she saw.

There, placed neatly beside the empty dish, was six pence – her tip.

I will do the math for those who do not know the old money. He could have purchased his preferred choice but had done the calculations taking account of leaving a tip. 

This is not about tipping or not this is a tale about a young man who did not think only about himself, but of others. 

Love shared is never lost. I am sure that waitress learned that lesson that day. 

Have a wonderful and may your caring heart bring rich rewards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment