Sunday 4 December 2016

The Friend.


This painting that I painted in France sold yesterday. My friend said to me that he was very happy for me. I am very happy for the person who bought it I hope it brings them years of joy and hopefully fond memories of holidays they have had. 

We see things differently but how good it is to have have friends around you who are happy just simply because you are happy.

Yesterday I was greatly moved when a friend just simply thanked me for being his friend. 

That reminded me of the storyI heard, a true story that made me realise just what true friendship is. 

This is the story of an event that happened many years ago during the first world war. 

A soldier watched in horror  as he saw his lifelong friend fall in battle.

The soldier asked his Lieutenant if he could go out to bring his fallen comrade back.

”You can go,” said the Lieutenant, “but I don’t think it will be worth it. Your friend is probably dead and you may throw your life away.”

The Lieutenant’s words didn’t matter, and the soldier went anyway.

Miraculously, he managed to reach his friend, hoisted him onto his shoulder and brought him back to their company’s trench.

The officer checked the wounded soldier, then looked kindly at his friend “, I told you it wouldn’t be worth it,” he said. “Your friend is dead and you are mortally wounded.”
“It was worth it, Sir,” said the soldier.
“What do you mean by worth it?” responded the Lieutenant.” Your friend is dead.”

”Yes Sir,” the soldier answered, “but it was worth it because when I got to him, he was still alive and I had the satisfaction of hearing him say,  “Man…I knew you would come! “

True friends are those that are there for you no matter what. I am blessed to have such friends and hope that they see in my just such a blessing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment