Tuesday 3 January 2017

New Year Thoughts


I spent some time away with family at Aviemore In the Highlands of Scotland. I assumed that I would still be in contact with the rest of the world but i ended up on a site with no wifi and where TV reception was so bad it was not worth trying to watch.

The upside was that I was able to  relax and just spend time doing things I enjoy. I walked for miles each day or cycled often in snow which sadly never really was cold enough to stay for long. At the end of each day I was frequently exhausted. One night so tired I was in bed at 8-30pm.

But it was a wonderful time. 

It gave me much time to reflect, and as I listened on the radio to Jeremy Irons reading the poetry of Elliot to be taken to a different world.

I did of course manage to saviour some of the excitement of the New Year in a different place. Thought I did not venture out late on New Years Eve, being a long way from where it was all happening. 

But I did remember from my past two tales that brought a smile to my face. Inspired by the now trending thing of politicians giving what they call words of wisdom for the coming year. How good it is that there is an off switch on radios and tvs.

A politician was asked about the problems of drinking at New Year, and his attitude to whiskey.

He replied, "If you mean the demon drink that poisons the mind, pollutes the body, desecrates family life, and inflames sinners, then I'm against it.  

But if you mean the elixir of a New Year toast, the shield against winter chill, the taxable potion that puts needed funds into public coffers to comfort the less well off in society, then I'm for it.  

This is my position, and I will not compromise."

A typical non committal response.

Another true story of New Year that brings a smile.

Daniel was in no shape to drive, so he sensibly left his van in the car park and walked home.  

As he was wobbling along, he was stopped by a policeman.  "What are you doing out here at four o'clock in the morning?' asked the police officer.

"I'm on my way to a lecture," answered Daniel. 

"And who on earth, in their right mind, is going to give a lecture at this time on New Year?'"enquired the constable sarcastically. 

"My wife," slurred Daniel grimly.

I hope you all had a marvellous New Year and the the days ahead look like something to ponder and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment