Sunday 8 January 2017

Think before you speak.



I will never forget the day I was out walking with my father and I learned a lesson I wish I had remembered more frequently during my life.

I will leave what it was that he said to me until after I have told you a lovely little tale.

One beautiful sunny day a young buddhist monk decided to take the benefit of the days sun. He decided to have a meditative walk on his own pondering his thoughts. 

As he wandered he came to the banks of a wide river. Staring hopelessly at the great obstacle he could see no way across, so he pondered how to cross such a wide barrier and to proceed on his journey. 

Have sat and mused for some time he was about to give up and about turn. It was just at that moment that he noticed a well known teacher on the other bank.

The young Buddhist yelled over to the master, "Oh wise one, can you tell me how to get to the other side of this river?"

The teacher stopped and pondered for a moment. he looks up and down the river and shouts back, "My son, you are on the other side."

Now had he thought for a moment longer and pondered his question he might have asked it another way to he may have said something other than he did.

My father always reminded me that I had to ears and one mouth and should always use them in that proportion. So listen and learn and think before saying something that either makes you look foolish or worse silly.

Have  a wonderful day. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment