Thursday 5 January 2017

A Round Tuit.




Procrastination is the thing in life that stops me achieving all the things I would love to achieve before my life comes to a conclusion. I keep on putting things off knowing that I should never do this.

Maybe it is because I work much better under pressure. As a minister I never wrote an evening service sermon until the Sunday afternoon of the evening I was going to preach it. The same with the Sunday morning services I had to prepare for hospitals prisons and of course my two churches. 

My friends always used to tell me that one day I would get caught out and I would fall foul of putting things off. Sadly it never happened or I might have learned a very worthy lesson. 

So for those like me I have designed a , "Round Tuit " for you so no more saying I will do that when I get around to it. 

Maybe of course there is another reason for my putting off and putting off. Maybe it is the fear of failing that makes us never try. 

Here is an interesting story.

A man was passing a group of elephants, he suddenly stopped, confused by the fact that these huge creatures were being held by only a small rope tied to their front leg. No chains, no cages. It was obvious that the elephants could, at anytime, break away from their bonds but for some reason, they did not.

He saw a trainer nearby and asked why these animals just stood there and made no attempt to get away. 

“Well,” the trainer said, “when they are very young and much smaller we use the same size rope to tie them and, at that age, it’s enough to hold them. As they grow up, they are conditioned to believe they cannot break away. They believe the rope can still hold them, so they never try to break free.”

The man was amazed. These animals could at any time break free from their bonds but because they believed they couldn’t, they were stuck right where they were.

Like the elephants, how many of us go through life hanging onto a belief that we cannot do something, simply because we failed at it once before?

Failure is part of learning; we should never give up the struggle in life.

Have a wonderful day and go try something new for the new year and for yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment