Tuesday 17 January 2017

Why not try?


Thoughts for an abstract.

Thinking about how to further develop my textured artwork I did this on my iPad. If anybody asks,  "What is it?" I can reply with certainty. It is the hand of nature. it is in fact a close up of the bark of a tree not far from here.  Will it work as a full abstract on canvas? I will never know until I try. 

The great lesson in life that I learned as a teenager feeling down was never to accept things as they are if you are unhappy. I felt stuck in a rut and with no qualifications seems to be forever stuck there.

Then one day my great friend, now dead, Rev Ian Cowie, told me a true tale. 

It was the story of Mary.

Mary was born blind. Her parents although shattered, decided to raise her with a sense of courage.

When she was very young she asked her mother, "Mother can I cook with you?"

Her mother replied, " You will never know until you try."

One day she asked her father, "Father can I go out and play outdoors on my own? The answer was the same. "You will never know until you try." 

As she progressed through school the careers people told her she would be limited in what she would manage as a blind person. She wanted to be a doctor. 

Her parents again had the same stance, "You will never know until you try."

Mary is now a doctor, and a very good and caring one.

When asked one day about her life she said, " I am a successful doctor, a girl with a passion and I am good at sport, and a fairly expert cook. This all happened just because I tried. If you do not try you will never know."

I remember those words and can second what Mary said. "Give it a try, you never know what you might achieve."

Have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment