Wednesday 25 January 2017

Yes your honour!


I cannot remember what it was I was searching for but I was pulling things out of my study to find whatever it was I was looking for. It goes to show that whatever it was it was not important or I would not only remember the search but also the purpose of the search.

It was one of those searches that came to an abrupt end on my finding something much more interesting than what I was looking for.

What I found was a number of hardback jotters. The moment I found them I was taken back to my days of sitting in the courts in Alloa, Kirkintilloch, Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy. While sitting on the bench we took very clear and precise notes of all that happened and what was said. I noted down any questions and answers word for word. 

Such clear and accurate notes were good in helping to determine the sentence I would pronounce at the end of proceedings, but more important would be there if the judgement went to appeal. 

I spent about the next two hours reading through these and remembering many of the cases. Some of them brought a smile to my face then and did so again. 

Q: What is your date of birth? 
A: July fifteenth. 
Q: What year? 
A: Every year.

and

Q: How old is your son, the one living with you? 
A: Thirty-eight or thirty-five, I can't remember which. 
Q: How long has he lived with you? 
A: Forty-five years.

Q: What was the first thing your husband said to you when he woke up that morning? 
A: He said, "Where am I, Cathy?" 
Q: And why did that upset you? 
A: My name is Susan.

Q: Is your appearance here this morning pursuant to a deposition notice which I sent to your attorney?
A: No, this is how I dress when I go to work.
And lastly for today.
Q: How was your first marriage terminated? 
A: By death. 
Q: And by whose death was it terminated?

I was just dying when I heard that one.

Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment