Sunday 24 April 2016

The Parrot.


Summer Will Come Again.


This is one of my recently painted abstracts. It is one of two I painted using the same palette other than I added red to the later one. Inspired by the feeling of new life around as  things spring back to life. The first signs of summer on the way. it is comforting to know that the cycles continue and that the summer and sun come again. Nature has a marvellous way of telling us that nothing is lost and despair does not need to be the case. This too will pass and life will return.

I know that some people have seen in this and many others of my abstracts something of my theological and ministerial past. I carry an almost complete image in my head for ages before committing it to canvas or paper. In the frenzy then of putting paint to canvas there has to  be times when my subconscious mind comes back to the fore and finds its way to my brush.  

It is like so many of the stories I carry around in my head. It takes only little trigger to bring them to the fore.  The other day there I was leading a group of people on a thoughtful walk around Falkland Estate. At one point we were listening to the birds singing and I was identifying them by their songs. I made a comment about them at least still being able to sing unlike myself. 

Signing was at one time one of my great loves in life now I rejoice that I am still able to speak. That is another tale. 

The birds though reminded me of two stories about pet birds. The first one I am allowed to tell you because I do have difficulty with my voice.

A man wanted so much to own a parrot. He had a very bad impediment in his speech so realised he might have difficulty teaching it to speak, but he felt he would be able to speak to it because it would not be judging his voice.  He visited a pet store to make enquires about the purchase. Sadly the shopkeeper also had difficulty speaking. So with great difficulty in the conversation the shopkeeper eventually took the man through to the back shop where he kept the parrots and other birds. 

The man got his eye on a beautiful blue parrot. "Can that parrot speak?" he said with much difficulty. before the shopkeeper could reply the parrot said, "yes and a lot better than you two."

Mrs. Smith's dishwasher was needing repaired so she called the engineer.

He couldn't accommodate her with an evening appointment, and since she had to go to work the next day, she told him: "I'll leave the key hidden and where to find it. 
Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I'll transfer the money. By the way, don't worry about my Rottweiler. He won't bother you. But, whatever you do, do not under any circumstances talk to my parrot!"
When the engineer arrived at Mrs. Smith's apartment the next day, he discovered the biggest and meanest looking Rottweiler he had ever seen.
But, just like she had said, the dog just lay there on the carpet, watching the engineer go about his business.
However, the whole time he was there, the parrot drove him nuts with his incessant squawking and talking. 
Finally the repairman couldn't contain himself any longer and yelled: "Shut up, you stupid bird!"
To which the parrot replied: "Get him, Brutus!

It is a joy to be able to sing and to speak but there are times when it is better to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment