Friday 29 April 2016

Life Explained, Simple.


Heading For Home.


I like many others I suspect am reaching the point when I just wish all elections were behind us and we return to some kind of reality. Where we here about a bit more than the same old promises being churned out day after day with just a little change in the slant. 

My paper bin is filling rapidly with election leaflets many unread because i have already had three exactly the same before.  

On the other  side of this I am often disturbed when I hear people being interviewed on the street and they tell the interviewer they are just not at all interested in politicians. Yesterday I heard a couple proudly boasting that at the age of seventy they had never ever cast a vote. There is nothing worse than a totally closed mind. The politicians love people like them because they do not have to make any promises to them.

I remember my own youth and my dear father who made sure that I was politically aware. He was not interested in the fact that I supported a different party than he did, he was just happy that I did.

Life is not about burying our head in the sand. Nor it is about thinking only for ourselves.  Let me share with you a little thought about life. 

On the first day, God created the dog and said:

"Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. For this, I will give you a life span of twenty years."

The dog said: "That's a long time to be barking. How about only ten years and I'll give you back the other ten?"

So God agreed.

On the second day, God created the monkey and said:
"Entertain people, do tricks, and make them laugh. For this, I'll give you a twenty-year life span."

The monkey said: "Monkey tricks for twenty years? That's a pretty long time to perform. How about I give you back ten like the Dog did?"

And God agreed.

On the third day, God created the cow and said:

"You must go into the field with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves and give milk to support the farmer's family. For this, I will give you a life span of sixty years."

The cow said: "That's kind of a tough life you want me to live for sixty years... How about twenty and I'll give back the other forty?"

And God agreed again. 

On the fourth day, God created humans and said:

"Eat, sleep, play, marry and enjoy your life. For this, I'll give you twenty years."

But the human said: "Only twenty years? Could you possibly give me my twenty, the forty the cow gave back, the ten the monkey gave back, and the ten the dog gave back; that makes eighty, okay?"

"Okay," said God, "you asked for it."

So that is why for our first twenty years we eat, sleep, play and enjoy ourselves. 
For the next forty years we slave in the sun to support our family. 
For the next ten years we do monkey tricks to entertain those younger than ourselves. 
And for the last ten years we sit on the front porch and bark at everyone.

Life has now been explained to you.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information. I'm doing it as a public service. I really should have been a politician not a minister or teacher, but it is too late now. But I will make sure that those who are do not get away with cheap promises. 

Have a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment