Wednesday 20 April 2016

IF


Ollie.

Is it not amazing how we so easily slip into a routine and how upset we get when the routine is disturbed? This has nothing to do with age or retirement . If we are really honest we do it all the time. 

When I left school and began a life of work and earning, I used to travel each morning on the bus. I caught the bus from Rosyth to Dunfermline at about 5-30 am. Now even at that time of the morning I was not the only person on the bus. The journey was not a long one I think just about four miles. Nevertheless I liked to sit in the same seat every morning, I can still remember the feeling I had when "my" seat was taken.

Routine makes us feel comfortable, and we all like that warm comfortable feeling. 

I have to admit that as we get older  we have a tendency to slip into the "Victor Meldrew "complex. For those reading this who do not remember Victor he was a character in a situation comedy programme. He had this wonderful saying, "I don't believe it." He just did not believe that that people could upset his daily routine.

The trouble with the comfort blanket of the daily routine is that we lose the sense of adventure. With the loss of adventure comes the loss of that sense of achievement.  So I was just thinking about some of the routines it is so easy to fall into that I think we should be aware of. 

Some of these I am certainly guilty of and maybe I need to make an effort to break the chain. So here is a little something to think about to start your day. 

We could call this the IF list.

IF you can start the day without caffeine.
IF you can always be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains.
IF you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles.
IF you can eat the same food every day and be grateful for it.
IF you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you any time.
IF you can take criticism and blame without resentment.
IF you can conquer tension without medical help.
IF you can relax without alcohol.
IF you can sleep without the aid of drugs.

THEN you are probably....

The Family Dog!

Now they certainly have got it sown up, but they do not paint masterpieces and they do not get a hole in one. They do not get that feeling of success when things go right.

Have an adventurous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment