Sunday 17 April 2016

Just a little bit of painting.


Falkland Estate Two Days Ago.


Well another week is over and as I look around the garden I am slowly but surely getting there. Most of the moss has been removed from the three lawns. There are hardly any weeds at all left in the borders. The potatoes are planted and the first one already starting to poke its head through the mound of soil around it. The fruit bushes I purchased and planted seem to all have taken hold and beginning to show some signs of new growth. The rhubarb plants I got from my previous allotment have taken root and I have already had my first rhubarb crumble from them.

So all and all not at all bad. 

I also look at all the new gravel I put it around the place and it is looking well. The paintwork of the brickwork at the bottom of the house walls is now looking not too bad either. The change of colour from a dirty yellow to black has made a big difference.

Even more importantly the aches and pains of all that painting and lifting and spreading gravel is going and I am feeling good.

It would have been nice to have had a help with the painting and the heavy jobs, I was thinking, until I heard  this true story.

A young  girl in her late teens, wanting to earn some extra money for the summer, decided to hire herself out as a "handy woman" and started canvassing a nearby well-to-do neighbourhood.
She went to the front door of the first house and asked the owner if he had any odd jobs for her to do.
"Well, I guess I could use somebody to paint the porch" he said. "How much will you charge me?"
Delighted, the girl quickly responded, "How about £20."
The man agreed and told her that the paint and brushes and everything she would need were in the garage. He  went to the garage with her and helped her get them all together. He even managed to find a pair of dungarees to help protect her jeans and t shirt. 

The man's wife, hearing the conversation, said to her husband, "Does she realise that our porch goes ALL the way around the house?"
"That's a bit cynical, isn't it?" he responded.
The wife replied, "You're right. I guess I'm starting to believe all those silly teenager stories."

A few hours later the girl came to the door to collect her money..
"You're finished already?" the startled husband asked.
"Yes," the girl replied, "and I even had paint left over so I gave it two coats."

Impressed, the man reached into his pocket for the £20 they had agreed  and handed it to her along with a £10 tip.
"Thank you," the girl said.  She turned to walk away, stopped and turned  "Oh and, by the way, it's not a Porsche, it's a Lexus." 
Maybe it is often better to just grin and bear it and do things for yourself. 
Have a marvellous Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment