I still have great problems with the modern obsession. What do I mean by the modern obsession? The love of celebrities and the desire by others to become such celebrities. You can see it daily on the television news programs presenters new to the programme in a very short time get bitten by the bug and want to become "celebs". They want to get onto the celebrity programmes such as, "Strictly."
Good quiz programmes have to follow route of celebrity. So we get all sorts of celebrity programmes, often without a single celebrity that I recognise. But then I do not read all the celebrity magazines to find out all the little details about the lives of such people.
So let me give you a little quiz this morning. Please do not fret about answering the questions just keep reading until you reach the end.
- Name the five wealthier people in the world.
- Name the last ten sports personalities of the year.
- Name the last three Miss Worlds
- Name ten people who have won either the Nobel or Pulitzer prize.
- Name the last six Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.
- Name the last six London Marathon Winners male or female.
Yes, there will be some who will answer some of the questions but few who will answer them all. So how did you do.
The pint is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. The people mentioned above are not second rate achievers. They are the best in their field. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.
Here is another short quiz. How will you do with this one?
- List the names of a few teachers who influenced you and helped you through school.
- Name three friends who helped you in difficult times.
- Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile knowing.
- Think of a few people who made you feel appreciated and special.
- Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
Now was that not so much easier?
The lesson! The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards.
They are the ones who care.
Don't worry about the world coming to an end. it is already tomorrow in Australia. have a good day and say thank you to somebody who makes you feel good. The celebrities will always be with as but they will continue to matter little in your corner of the world.