Friday 15 April 2016

The Agony Aunt.


The Tunnel Falkland Estate.

When I began university I got a grant, my fees were paid and I had a small sum of money to enable the purchase of books. There was no way that I could manage to live on this sum of money. In those days there was no such thing as a student loan so it was necessary to get some part time jobs.

During my university years I was fortunate enough to find a few such jobs and I managed fine. I was fortunate enough to have a trade behind me and there were usually some butcher shops willing to give me part time work, especially during the holiday period when their own workers would be off on holiday.

One the job I managed to get was a part time job with a well known Sunday newspaper. This I really did enjoy. I was sent to various events usually sporting and I had to write up a report. 

One of my regular jobs was writing the horoscope and answering the problems page. Yes there were some honest letters sent into the problem page and I tried very hard to give as helpful and honest a response as I could. Somebody out there was looking for help. 

There were times though when I really did just sit and laugh at the letters and there was just no way they would ever be included. 

Let me make up a fictional name of the agony aunt, would not want anybody to identify the paper or the "real aunt." So Dear Mary.

Dear Mary,
A couple of women moved in across the hall from me. One is a middle-aged gym teacher, and the other is a social worker in her mid twenties.These two women go everywhere together, and I've never seen a man go into their apartment or come out. Do you think they could be Lebanese?

Dear Mary,
I have a man I never could trust. He cheats so much I'm not even sure this baby I'm carrying is his.What should I do?

Dear Mary,
I suspected that my husband had been fooling around, and when I confronted him with the evidence he denied everything and said it would never happen again. Should I believe him?

Dear Mary,
You recently told some woman whose husband had lost all interest in sex to send him to a doctor. Well, my husband lost all interest in sex years ago and he IS a doctor. What now?

Have a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment