Thursday 14 April 2016

Daily Exercise To Help.


Maisie Den.

Yes you may have seen a very similar painting to this but time and seasons move on and so the colours move from winter to spring. 

I pass this place fairly frequently on my daily walks so It is a lovely spot to stop for a moment. I have at last finished my Thoughtful Walk around the estate and next week I am taking a group round it to trial it. This is just one of the many beauties we will pass. 

Exercise has not always played an important role in my life. In fact on the day of my 40th birthday I was overweight and smoking a pipe and extremely unfit.  Challenged by my daughter to run around the manse where I lived ( a large house but not really a great distance to go round it). At the end of my "run" I collapsed exhausted and breathless. If I felt like exercise I lay down until the feeling wore off.

But I began in ernest the next day increasing the number of circuits until I was able to do enough to get out the gate and out of the parish without stopping. Nothing great,  possibly just about a mile.

it is so much easier to exercise the brain or in some cases the mouth. We must never forget to exercise the body also. 

But do not be like the member of my congregation who did press ups. He mentioned to me it was getting more difficult. No wonder I laughed, when he told me how many he did. One for each year of his life, so each year he added another rather than take one off. 

So for today let me recommend a bit of exercise starting easily.

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.

With a 5lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax.

Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.
After a couple of weeks, move up to 10lb potato bags.

Then try 50lb potato bags and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. 

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.

Have another great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment