Tuesday 28 August 2018

To feel the guilt.


A saying worthy of thought.

It is some time since I just sat and practised some chines calligraphy. I will never, and never aspire to, be able to write with the beautiful ease of the masters of this craft. Nevertheless, it is a soothing way to spend an hour or two, and it does take this time. So what does it say?

What you do not wish upon yourself, do not extend to others.

It is so very true that we can be acutely aware of the hurts we feel ourselves but can be blind to the hurt we bring to others with thoughtless words and actions.

I without thinking made contact with a person who used to be in my class at school. I said hello and asked how the person was doing. Without any thought, I saw a curt reply. You were the person who stole my sweets when we were at school. 

I remembered the incident very clearly and was shocked to read the words. I was so sure this person would have been told the truth of this incident. I had never actually been the person who took her packet of sweets but I did know who had. At the time I said nothing and took the punishment given to me by the teacher, being unaware of the real torture of living with a false accusation. At the time I thought that it better to take it from the teacher rather than from the bully who had taken them.

I really believed most people knew this to be the case. But this poor person has carried a grudge in her mind for me for all those many years. 

An old man was going out to his garden to chop some wood for the winter. getting to the woodpile he could not find his axe. No matter how he searched he could not find it.

He was convinced the suspicious young lad who lived nearby had stolen it. This was the story he told to all his friends and neighbours. The young lad in his opinion was a very shifty looking character. The old man took ill and was confined to bed. The young man came to his door offering to get his shopping or to do any chores he could to help. The old man looked at hime and said, "You could have cut some wood for the fire had you not stolen my axe."

The young boy looked amazed and asked if the axe he meant was the one he could see from here lying in the bush near the woodpile. The man felt terrible. he and the younf lad became great friends.

John was driving home late one night when he picked up a hitchhiker. As they rode along, he began to be suspicious of his passenger. John checked to see if his wallet was safe in the pocket of his coat that was on the seat between them, but it wasn't there! 

He slammed on the brakes, ordered the hitchhiker out, and said, "Hand over the wallet immediately!" The frightened hitchhiker handed over a wallet, and John drove off. 

When he arrived home, he started to tell his wife about the experience, but she interrupted him, saying, "Before I forget, John, do you know that you left your wallet at home this morning?" 

Many a hurt has been caused by thoughtless words and thoughtless actions.

Every action brings with it consequences. What you do not wish for yourself, do not extend to others.

Have a marvellous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment