Thursday 30 August 2018

By your actions be known.


Castles in the Air.

Some many years ago while I was still in the ministry I had a positive experience while working along with the police force of what was then known as Strathclyde Region. I was instrumental in the setting up of a crime prevention panel in the town where I operated as one of the parish ministers. 

One of the many things I found myself doing was coming up with a slogan and a graphic for a scheme to make children aware that not all the people who spoke to them on the street were friendly and innocent of intent. On reflection with the passing of time, I am not so convinced that the slogan and idea were all that wonderful.  The slogan was, "Always say no to strangers." The symbol was of a running figure. The material that went with the scheme I think did make its mark warning children that some people who offered to give you a lift home or to school were being kind and considerate.

The downside was that maybe the scheme was so effective that children saw all strangers as threatening and this certainly was not the intention of the scheme. In recognition of the work I had put into the scheme the police force presented me with a lovely tankard with the graphic on the handle, to this day it has a place of pride.

Now as I wonder the village where I stay I speak to a great many people all of whom not long ago were strangers to me but now I consider as fellow members of a lovely community of people. Most people now recognise me with the many different hats I wear and the various roles I play in community life. A simple journey to the local store can take on some days a long time, as I stop and speak to them all. 

I do not want to be long winded but I have three interesting tales that help me make today's point well. If you find them too much read one two or three and then skip to the end.

The three stories are all about real people and all true. 

The first about an artist. The renowned artist Paul Gustave Dore (1821-1883) lost his passport while travelling. When he came to a border crossing, he explained his predicament to one of the guards. Giving his name to the official, Dore hoped he would be recognized and allowed to pass. The guard, however, said that many people attempted to cross the border by claiming to be persons they were not.

Dore insisted that he was the man he claimed to be. "All right," said the official, "we'll give you a test, and if you pass it we'll allow you to go through." Handing him a pencil and a sheet of paper, he told the artist to sketch several peasants standing nearby. Dore did it so quickly and skillfully that the guard was convinced he was indeed who he claimed to be. His work confirmed his word! 

The second is about a famous violinist.  Setting out from Hamburg, Germany, one day to give a concert in London, violinist Fritz Kreisler had an hour before his boat sailed. He wandered into a music shop, where the proprietor asked if he could look at the violin Kreisler was carrying. 

He then vanished and returned with two policemen, one of whom told the violinist, "You are under arrest."

"What for?" asked Kreisler.

"You have Fritz Kreisler's violin."

"I am Fritz Kreisler."

"You can't pull that on us. Come along to the station."

As Kreisler's boat was sailing soon, there was no time for prolonged explanations. Kreisler asked for his violin and played a piece he was well known for. "Now are you satisfied?" he asked. They were! 

The last is also a true story about an engineer. A young American engineer was sent to Ireland by his company to work in a new electronics plant. It was a two-year assignment that he had accepted because it would enable him to earn enough to marry his long-time girlfriend. 

She had a job near her home in Tennessee, and their plan was to pool their resources and put a down payment on a house when he returned. They corresponded often, but as the lonely weeks went by, she began expressing doubts that he was being true to her, exposed as he was to comely Irish lasses.

The young engineer wrote back, declaring with some passion that he was paying absolutely no attention to the local girls. "I admit," he wrote, "that sometimes I'm tempted. But I fight it. I'm keeping myself for you."

In the next mail, the engineer received a package. It contained a note from his girl and a harmonica. "I'm sending this to you," she wrote, "so you can learn to play it and have something to take your mind off those girls." 

The engineer replied, "Thanks for the harmonica. I'm practising on it every night and thinking of you." 

At the end of his two-year stint, the engineer was transferred back to company headquarters. He took the first plane to Tennessee to be reunited with his girl. 

Her whole family was with her, but as he rushed forward to embrace her, she held up a restraining hand and said sternly, 

"Just hold on there a minute, Billy Bob. Before any serious kissin' and huggin' get started here, let me hear you play that harmonica!" 

Billy Bob became known as a wonderful harmonica player.

What does this tell? It is very simple, " By your deeds be known." I
f your actions are correct and caring you will have many friends and be known for what is in your heart.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment