Thursday 9 August 2018

The scent of success.


Having not been at all happy with the painting of the close up of the cat eyes I thought I would go back to the cats I do love to paint, tigers. but then I thought that I might try a lion. I told a friend I was working on a painting of a lion and he made the comment that I would find that hard with my love of royalty. The lion being the "King" of the jungle. I smiled to myself and made an attempt. I worked long and hard on this one and am still not sure that I should paint anything in the cat family except tigers. 

I just cannot make a success of them at all.

The word success was very much in the news here in Scotland in the last few days. it is that time of the year when students get the results of the examinations they sat at the end of the last term. This is an important time for them, these results will determine what they do in the future.

I always got a great feeling of happiness when students had managed to get the results that the university had asked for entrance to the desired course.  Students who had wanted all through school to follow a particular path and now they were on the way. A real sense of achievement. 

I have just noticed what I have done there in these last few paragraphs. I have used the word success and the word achievement almost to mean the exact same thing. I wonder if, in fact, that is the case?

Is helping a person find out what he/she needs, then helping him/her find the best way to get it.  is that a sign of success or is it a sense of achievement? 

Yes, I am aware that I am almost playing with words but I always remember a wise old lady who helped me on the road to where I managed to get into university telling me that there is a world of difference between the two.

She always told me the following and did so on more than one occasion just to make sure I got it into my head. A wise lady indeed who saw where one of my weaknesses lay.

"Achievement is the knowledge that you have studied and worked hard and done the best that is in you. 

Success is being praised by others, and that's nice too, but not as important or satisfying. 

Always aim for achievement and forget about success." 

I suspect these are some of the wisest words ever spoken to me. It is far to easy in life to be overcome with pride by the praise offered by others. it is how we deal with and accept the praise. 

I know that the many comments made to me about this blog and the artwork I do daily keep me going. Without the words of encouragement. Without the questions asked of me privately. Without the little helpful comments about where I could make changes in the artwork. I think I would have given up ages ago. So from the bottom of my heart, a big thank you to all those who do just that. 

But I am so glad that I do know the difference between success and achievement. 

Have a great day and may it end with a feeling of achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment