Sunday 19 August 2018

Living the lie.


I was interested to read the comments about a white lie. I found some of the comments sent to me in private even more interesting. Another interesting thing came for some of those comments and thoughts. Taking things just a tiny little further is there a difference between a " fib and a lie?" it seemed that some of my friends like to substitute the word for a lie and even a white lie. 

I find such little thoughts grasp this flighty brain of mine.  In the end, I decided that I should be using this for a much better use than sitting just thinking about such things. I have then, because of all my musing and pondering returned once again to work on my own translation of the Tao Te Ching. There are so many versions around and yet it is still a difficult document to comprehend. So I have found another challenge. 

The work has commenced for the second time. This time I intend to keep all notes and the final work rather than consign to the bin like the last time around.

But in the meantime back to the white lie, the fib, and the lie. I should share one or two more thoughts on this topic before letting it be.  I know there are those who are saying typical he cannot leave anything always saying a bit more changing a bit more.  Thanks for sticking with me I admire all those who have.

I remember reading many years ago the French Enlightenment essayist, Michel de Montaigne speak about this and the upbringing of children. Let me paraphrase what he said. Lying is an accursed vice. The only way we can communicate with each other is by words. An untruth is, therefore, the very beginning of a breakdown in relationships the worst kind of thing to be tolerated.

He went on to say that he found it strange that we should spend much time correcting children on so many faults that the consequences of would do little harm, worrying heedlessly about such things. Lying, he said, were the only real things that should be stamped out instantly because once a child has learned how to lie it is impossible to correct it will grow with the child. The little fib will become the easy lie.

Lying seems to be a way of life for many people. We lie at the drop of a hat. The recent survey says that 91 per cent of those surveyed lie routinely about matters they consider trivial, and 36 per cent lie about important matters; 86 per cent lie regularly to parents, 75 per cent to friends, 73 per cent to siblings, and 69 per cent to spouses. 

When you consider this is you like me wondering when we tell the truth? When regard for truth has been broken down or even slightly weakened, all things will remain doubtful.


Now I know that I am on very sticky ground after reading the thoughts of so many but I give you two quotes worthy of thought.

Austin O Malley said "A lie has no legs. It requires other lies to support it. Tell one lie and you are forced to tell others to back it up. Stretching the truth won't make it last any longer. Those that think it permissible to tell white lies soon grow colourblind. "

John Wesley on being asked about white lies made the following comment. I would not tell one lie to save the souls of all the world.

I am pleased to be surrounded by so many friends who first thought is to not harm friends or family but we will have to agree to differ on white lies.

having written this I found it strange to listen to a program on the radio during the night hours. it was about divorce and some of the things said in court to gain a divorce. One woman, had her lawyer tell the judge that her husband was always complaining about what she wore saying, "you are  not going to dress like that at work are you?"

In fact, she had always wanted her husband to be with her when buying dresses. There were times he had on being asked commented that he did not think the dress she was considering was right for going to work.

Now, who was the lier?

I promise to say no more on this topic but hope it is a little food for thought. Have a marvellous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment