Thursday 2 August 2018

Friends make it all worthwhile.



I am aware that I have spoken in the blog about the meaning of friendship. I have also commented that it is very easy to get cynical about friendship on Facebook, as many of my friends are indeed. 

Each time I hear such comments I defend the friends I have made on Facebook. Some are old friends that I might have lost but my friendship has been renewed by one or other of us being in touch and chatting. So I frequently return to the thoughts and the meaning of what a friend really is. I also frequently rejoice in the fact that I am fortunate enough to consider a number of people as true friends. 

So today above I share a little black and white portrait of one I consider a friend and encourager. One who has been there for me and in many times when I did not deserve that he would be there. 

I am not sure if I have said this before but if I have it is worthy of repeating. Friends are like good health, you don't realise what a gift they are until you lose them.

I am greatly blessed as I have said often before in the many treasured friends I have. I sometimes get despondent when I see people using and abusing friendship, or when one friend gets upset if a friend seems to have been given some kind of priority in the stakes of friendship.

Real friendship and even friendship that uses the word love must always be a giving as well as a receiving thing. Rejoice in what another gives and in return do you very best to return that with just a little interest. 

I do not wish to get over the top about this topic but let me share this little poem I wrote yesterday as I thought about my, "Friends."

A Friend

Not far as it may seem I have a friend. 
Who has been my friend for what seems like beginning to end?
yet the days' tick by
and the weeks move on
before we know it a year has gone.
In that year I have not seen my old friends face.
For I have got caught up life s rat race.
he knows I like him still,
Asin those days when we had our fill.
We were so much younger then,
but now both are getting tired and have become old men.
We are finished now with silly games,
and we have almost given up on making our names.
Every other day I promise I will go and call.
To let him know he is still important in the midst of it all.
I promise this that it will happen tomorrow,
But tomorrow comes and tomorrow goes.
The distance between us just seems to grow.
I know because it has happened before,
if I do not go I will go no more.
For the day will come,
as each day does for some but not for all.
For it may well be I have another day, 
but I dread the thought that my friend might be away
And I might get a message to let me know my dear friend died just the other day.

Have a marvellous day and for today I am sure there is a friend out there that would enjoy a little gesture of friendship. Go on say hello.







No comments:

Post a Comment